Why the TOPS ONE Conversion was Needed, and Other Questions Answered
Some FORHA members have had questions related to the recent TOPS ONE conversion. Here’s everything you need to know about our new platform along with information on annual billing and fees.
1. Why did FORHA change to TOPS ONE?
After reviewing functionality available in the newest version of TOPS, the system that maintains the membership database, it was decided that FORHA needed to migrate to the new system because the old system was no longer going to be supported.
2. What new features are available with TOPS ONE?
There are two new features available. One is the new TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal and the other is TOPS Pay.
- TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal is going to replace MyHOA, which was the previous platform used by FORHA to allow members online access to review documents, a directory and to pay their account. Members indicated that the old system was clunky and difficult to use. The new TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal will be used to make additional documents and information available to FORHA Members via a secure site.
- TOPS Pay is a pay system available through the TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal to make online payments to your FORHA account. MyHOA, the previous platform, offered a similar service called Kelko Pay, and TOPS Pay is replacing that.
3. Why is there a convenience fee to pay my bill?
As with Kelko Pay, TOPS Pay will also have a convenience fee charged when making online payments. This convenience fee is assessed by the platform provider, not FORHA, and is the expense to FORHA to be able to accept online payments. Most HOAs who allow electronic payments charge this fee. However, the good news is that beginning next year, if members sign up for automatic payments through their bank account, this convenience fee will be waived.
4. How do I pay my current bill online?
There are three ways to make online payments with varying fees. These choices are as follows:
- TOPS Pay Credit Card Payment – a credit card may be used to make your online payment. If this is done, you will be charged a convenience fee of 3.5% of the total amount being paid. If you choose this option, you will input your credit card information and then click on the PAY NOW button. Once this button is clicked, a pop-up message will appear letting you know the amount of the convenience fee. At this time, you will have the option to accept the payment with the fee by choosing Confirm, or you can void the transaction by hitting Cancel.
- TOPS Pay ACH Payment – a payment made through your bank account, by entering your banking information into TOPS Pay, may also be used to make your online payment. If this is for a One-Time payment, you will be charged a $2.95 convenience fee. Once you input your bank information and click on the PAY NOW button, a pop-up message will appear letting you know the amount of the convenience fee. At this time, you will have the option to accept the payment with the fee by choosing Confirm, or you can void the transaction by hitting Cancel.
- TOPS AutoPay Feature – When you set up your TOPS Pay account using a bank draft and choose Autopay, it will set up your account to pay ALL future charges automatically. When FORHA enters a charge for your account, you will receive an email letting you know that a charge of $ xxx amount has been entered and that it will be debited from your account in 5 days. During those 5 days, you can do nothing, and the payment will be debited on the 5th day, or you can log into your account and disable your AutoPay. There are no convenience fees when Autopay is used. Please also note that if you choose this option, it will NOT pay your 2020 FORHA Assessments.
5. Why am I required to pay a fee if I chose TOPS AutoPay for my 2020 Assessments?
Because the conversion of FORHA’s database was done around the same time as statements were being generated, there was not enough time to print statements and send email invitations for the registration of the TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal prior to accruing of the 2020 FORHA Assessments, Due to the timing, no one was able to sign up for TOPS Autopay to make the payment of their 2020 Dues, and therefore all online payments for 2020 will be charged a convenience fee. However, for any assessments or charges AFTER you enroll in TOPS Autopay, you WILL be able to pay as described above and NOT be charged a convenience fee.
6. Will only one member in a dual-member household be able to access the Owners’ Portal?
If there is more than one homeowner on your property, and both of you would like access to the TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal, that option is now available. One person, however, will be named PRIMARY and only that person will be able to use TOPS Pay. If a spouse or a second member would like to be set up to access the TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal, they will need to contact the FORHA office at 210-698-2225 and provide an email address so that they can also receive an email invitation to register for the TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal.
7. Since I can add my spouse to the Owners’ Portal, does that allow them to get email communications too?
With the new TOPS ONE system, one of their most-requested enhancements is the ability to send email correspondence to BOTH members in a dual-member household. So if you and your spouse register, you BOTH will be able to get email communications from FORHA. This has been a frequent complaint of our membership and factored into our decision to migrate to TOPS ONE. Please call the FORHA office at 210-698-2225 and we will add your Secondary email address to the database. However, keep in mind, there will still need to be a Primary email registered.
If you have any other questions concerning the TOPS ONE Owners’ Portal, TOPS Pay or your dues, please feel free to call the FORHA at 210-698-2225 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FORHA Business Operations Manager.